Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
ACADEMIC FIELD & RESEARCH
- Muslim society in the islands of Southeast Asia
- “Things” and material culture
- Facial and bodily expressions
- Reception of kawaii culture and otaku culture from Japan and their cross-border aspects in
- Participation in research projects such as the “Construction of the Face-Body Studies in Transcultural Conditions” supported by a MEXT Grant-in Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas
RESEARCH FIELD (FIELD SITE, LOCATION OF RESEARCH)
- Southern Philippines
- East Malaysia
- Tokoro I. Border Crossings. Iwanami Shoten, 1999. (Japanese)
- Tokoro I. (Ed.) Why Do Researchers Go into the Field? : An Invitation to Fieldwork. Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Press, 2015. (Japanese)
- Tokoro I., Kawai K. (Eds.) An Anthropology of Things 2. Kyoto University Press, 2019. (Japanese)
- Tokoro I., Kawai K. (Eds.) An Anthropology of Things. Kyoto University Press & Trans Pacific Press, 2018.
In this research project, I hope to investigate the relationships of neoteny as well as bodily expressions and art with the evolution of sociality.